It's getting to the time where the grapes are getting too tempting to the local wildlife. We found a squirrel trying to get the the fruit just this morning.
If you follow this blog, you know that this is an ongoing problem each year. We tried netting the entire plant but this just constricted the plant too much and we didn't get any grapes. Last year, we tried using holographic tape and was able to get about half a crop, the other was devoured by critters, so I guess it worked somewhat.
It also gave my wife something to take a picture of.
There's still some tape on the plant but this year, I'm taking the extra step of netting individual bunches. We've been saving the nets that the fruits and vegetables come in from the store.
My plan is to put a net around each bunch, letting then breathe and get sunshine but providing a barrier for the animals.
I was able to net up eight bunches, about a third, before I ran out. We'll see soon how well this works.
Copyright 2015 - Darryl Musick
All Rights Reserved