It rained early this morning. Luckily, it went away by mid-morning. I only had today to get this major fall chore to it's conclusion.
After months of preparation, today is the day that I lay in an overcoat of seed for my poor, very pitiful lawn.
Here is a before picture. I hope to have a good "after" picture to add later.
I've aerated and dethatched the grass repeatedly over the last couple of months, trying to loosen up the soil and break the grip that the St. Augustine grass has on it.
Last weekend, I did one last run with the aerator to loosen up even more and provide some nooks and crannies for the see to fall into.
Today, I started off by shaving the lawn. This is simply lowering the blades on the lawn mower a notch or two to cut down and break up the current grass at a level that's a little uncomfortable for it and give the new grass some more room to poke through the current sod.
I got a bag of drought-resistant seed from Jonathan Green to help combat the extreme heat and dryness of our summers. In the spreader (picture at the top), I put a generous covering on the front yard.
Spreading a little mulch over the top, I also stomped the seed in as much as possible.
Now, just to water in. I've set the sprinkler to water three times a day at 12 minutes each time.
I must bid you adieu for now, I will leave this lawn and the garden to fend for themselves for 10 days while I work on some other projects. We'll see how well it looks when I return on Thanksgiving.
Copyright 2013 - Darryl Musick
All Rights Reserved